Friday, September 14, 2007

Round-Up: September 14

Here is a round-up of today's Bestiaria Latina blog posts (you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives). Have a good weekend, everybody - and I'll "see" you on Monday!

AudioLatinProverbs.com: Today's proverb is Auream mediocritatem diligo. In English: I cherish the golden mean. Listen to the audio, and read about the positive Latin sense of "mediocrity" as immortalized in one of Horace's Odes.

AudioLatin.com: Here is the audio for 10 more Latin proverbs - just the audio, but there is a link to a page where you can get English translations and commentary on the proverbs, too. Today's group includes a medieval version of "clothes do not make the man," Habitus non facit monachum.

LatinViaProverbs.com: I'm continuing to work on the online guide to the Latin Via Proverbs book, with grammar notes and English translations, working through the book group by group. Today I've posted notes for Group 148, a group of proverbs featuring third conjugation verbs with fourth declension nouns.

LatinViaFables.com: I'm continuing to work my way through the 15th-century Latin fables of Abstemius! With each fable I'm posting the Latin text, a segmented Latin text, along with an English translation by me, plus the rollicking 17th-century translation by Sir Roger L'Estrange. Today's fable is De Lupo ovis pelle induto, qui gregem devorabat: The Wolf in sheep's clothing, who devoured the flock. There are many fables about the shepherd and the wolf, and this is one of my favorites!

Here is an illustration of today's fable by Francis Barlow, from his great seventeenth-century edition of Aesop:



Keep up with the latest posts... Get the RSS feed, or you can subscribe by email.