Monday, September 17, 2007

Round-Up: September 17 + An Apologia

This weekend we passed the midway point of September, striking fear into my soul since I have a book project I am supposed to finish by the end of September (the Vulgate Verses book, which is a follow-up to Latin Via Proverbs), and beginning in October I have a new book project that is going to be very time-consuming (an edition of Barlow's Aesop... with illustrations!).

So, given that I need to do some re-budgeting of my time, I'll be following a different schedule for the blogging here. Instead of publishing each of the Bestiaria Latina blogs each day, I'll just focus on doing one or two blogs per day. That will give me something to share each day of the week, but also give me some more time to work on FINISHING these books! Meanwhile, you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives.

So, here are the blogs that were updated today:

Latina Carolina: In the latest post you will find links to some QUIA games and quizzes for the first chapter of Lingua Latina: Familia Romana. The QUIA chapter quiz uses a variety of question models that test comprehension of the Latin without ever asking for an English translation - a quizzing strategy that I think is very compatible with the wonderful Lingua Latina textbook.

LatinViaFables.com: I'm continuing to work my way through the 15th-century Latin fables of Abstemius! With each fable I'm posting the Latin text, a segmented Latin text, along with an English translation by me, plus the rollicking 17th-century translation by Sir Roger L'Estrange. Today's fable is De patre filium ad virtutes frustra hortante: A Father, urging his son, in vain, to practice the virtues. This fable is more sad than funny: it does not have much of a story to tell, although it shows that for hundreds of years fathers and sons have been having trouble communicating! Father may know best... but what if son doesn't listen?

For an image today, I'll let the Roman Emperor of the Week widget supply us a portrait of this week's emperor!




Keep up with the latest posts... Get the RSS feed, or you can subscribe by email.