Saturday, April 4, 2015

Latin Proverbs and Fables Round-Up: April 4

Here is a round-up of today's proverbs and fables - and for previous posts, check out the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives. I've finished cycling through all the great fables recorded by Justin Slocum Bailey, and I'll be going through those again, but I'll also be alternating them now with some of the animated gifs and other items. You'll see an animated proverb gif down below!

HODIE (Roman Calendar): pridie Nonas Apriles, the day before the Nones of April.

MYTHS and LEGENDS: The art image for today's legend shows Cupid Discovers Psyche; you can also see the legends for the current week listed together here.


TODAY'S MOTTOES and PROVERBS:

3-WORD MOTTOES: Today's 3-word motto is Per ardua surgo (English: I rise up through difficulties).

3-WORD PROVERBS: Today's 3-word proverb is Omnia vincit amor (English: Love conquers all).

RHYMING PROVERBS: Today's proverb with rhyme is: Ex frixis pullus ovis nunquam venit ullus (English: No chicken ever comes from fried eggs).

VULGATE VERSES: Today's verse is Omnia membra corporis, cum sint multa, unum corpus sunt (I Cor. 12:12). For a translation, check out the polyglot Bible, in English, Hebrew, Latin and Greek, at the Sacred Texts Archive online.

ELIZABETHAN PROVERBS: Here is today's proverb commentary, this time by Taverner: Iucundi acti labores: Laboures ones done, be swete. Assuredlie this is naturallie ingraven in the minde of every mortall person, that after painfull labours and perils, the remembraunce of them, is to him right pleasaunt..

BREVISSIMA: The distich poster for today is De Amicitia. Click here for a full-sized view.


And here are today's proverbial LOLcats:



Numeri regunt mundum.
Numbers rule the world.

Miserum noli ridere.
Do not laugh at someone who is wretched.

TODAY'S FABLES:

MILLE FABULAE: The fable from the Mille Fabulae et Una widget is Vulpes et Uva, the famous story of the supposedly "sour" grapes.

FABULAE FACILES: The fable from the Fabulae Faciles widget is Leo Iratus et Puteus, the story of a lion whose anger was his undoing (this fable has a vocabulary list).

Leo et Puteus

GreekLOLz - and Latin and English, too. Below is one of my GreekLOLz; for the individual Greek, Latin and English versions of the graphic, see the blog post: Ἀεὶ κολοιὸς παρὰ κολοιὸν ἱζάνει. Monedulae semper monedula assidet. One jackdaw always sits next to another.

1 comment:

Scott Utley said...

KWAAAAAA! TOO FUNNY! My admiration for your astonishing gifts has never ceased to fill me with a great gratitude. You may remember this about my name – I have many times come forth to say you are one of my more favored heroes. And if never comes the day I am able to bow to you with honor for all you have taught me, that will not mean that there is not an eternity keeping that fire in my soul for all you have given us, particulate me. I can only know what is in my heart.

Gods blessed us twice; the day you were born and the day we discovered you. Thank you once again. It is near 7 – 8 – 9 ? years or so that I have been nurturing a place where I can always find you but that is because it is your desire & devout wish to at least try to grow our collective humanity. You teach the world to sing & spin in its proper direction. Those who have eyes to see, ears to hear & heart know you are a true human being.

I have had modicum of faint praise for some of the little poem stories I write – I call them that because I haven't a clue what they really are. Not one to brag (ha) I will say I am being taught in universities now, especially in GERMANY where they think metaphor is a great American tradition. I am not certain but they may be using my work to prove that without a great tradition you get what I write. But I know that without the lessons you have provided us – any work I have done that may have a little bit of sense is only because you have helped me to see through the trees. Thank You, Laura…. SCOTT UTLEY LA CA US of A 2015

www.planetlobster.com