Saturday, May 25, 2019

Latin Proverbs and Fables Round-Up: May 25

I'm back again! The past few months, and the past couple years, have been pretty topsy-turvy with family stuff, but I'm going to try a new approach with the Bestiaria this summer so that it lines up with some other projects I am working on this summer. Let's see if I can manage to bring this back to life for the summer at least!

As always, you can keep up with the latest posts by using the RSS feed, or you might prefer to subscribe by email.


HODIE: ante diem octavum Kalendas Iunias.


ANIMAL PROVERBS: This is a new project I've just started to go along with some animal story work I am doing this summer. :-)

A bove maiori discit arare minor.
The younger ox learns to plow from the elder.



Cochlea consiliis, in factis esto volucris
Be a snail in your planning, have wings in your deeds.



LATIN LOLCATS:

Cave canem!
Beware of dog!




Fortis cadere, cedere non potest.
The brave man can fall but not fail.




AESOP'S FABLES: I'll be pairing up fables from my old Mille Fabulae et Una book with a website where I've collected fable illustrations and English versions of the stories.

Vulpes et Pardus



Astrologus Stellas Contemplans



FREE BOOKS: These are books from my Freebookapalooza online book collection, which now contains over 1300 items:





... plus a special treat from the Latin LOLBaby blog:

Nullum magnum ingenium
sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
There was never any great genius
without some madness mixed in.