Thursday, January 17, 2008

Round-Up: January 17

Hello, everybody! I missed posting yesterday (one of the very busiest days of my semester teaching online; if you are curious, you can read more here about my real life job). Meanwhile, here is a round-up of today's blog posts (you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives). You can keep up with the latest posts by using the RSS feed, or you can subscribe by email.

AudioLatin.com: Proverbs: Here is the audio for 10 more Latin proverbs - just the audio, but there is a link to a page where you can get English translations and commentary on the proverbs, too. Today's group includes this saying about the swiftness of rumor (even before the Internet speeded it up even more!): Et terram rumor transilit et maria.

Vulgate Verses. The Vulgate Verses book is now available (from Lulu Publishers), and I'm adding Study Guides at the Vulgate Verses blog. The Study Guide I've added today is for Group 17, and it includes this great saying about the joys of inward peace of mind: Secura mens quasi iuge convivium.

LatinViaFables.com: I'm continuing to work my way through the 15th-century Latin fables of Abstemius! With each fable I'm posting the Latin text, a segmented Latin text, along with an English translation by me, plus the rollicking 17th-century translation by Sir Roger L'Estrange (when available). Today's fable is De lepore calliditatem et vulpe celeritatem a Iove petentibus: About the rabbit who asked Jupiter to make him sly and the fox who asked to be swift. L'Estrange did not include this in his adaptation of Abstemius, perhaps because of its close resemblance to the traditional fable of Juno and the peacock.

For an image today, I'll let the Greek Beast of the Week widget supply us a portrait of this week's mythological creature!

(If you are reading this via email, you will need to visit the blog to see the image in action.)