Monday, January 7, 2008

Round-Up: January 7

Hello, everybody! I hope you have had a good holiday season - I'm back online after a week off getting my courses reading for spring semester. So, starting out the new year of 2008 with Bestiaria Latina, here is a round-up of today's blog posts (you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives). You can keep up with the latest posts by using the RSS feed, or you can subscribe by email.

AudioLatin.com: Proverbs: Here is the audio for 10 more Latin proverbs - just the audio, but there is a link to a page where you can get English translations and commentary on the proverbs, too. Today's group includes this fine rhyming saying about the dangers of trying to please everybody: Multum deliro, si cuique placere requiro.

Vulgate Verses. The Vulgate Verses book is now available (from Lulu Publishers), and I'm adding Study Guides at the Vulgate Verses blog. The Study Guide I've added today is for Group 15, and it includes this famous reflection on mortality from the book of Isaiah: Omnis caro faenum.

LatinViaFables.com: Now that the holidays are over, I'm picking up where I left off working my way through the 15th-century Latin fables of Abstemius! With each fable I'm posting the Latin text, a segmented Latin text, along with an English translation by me, plus the rollicking 17th-century translation by Sir Roger L'Estrange. Today's fable is De aquila filios cuniculi rapiente: About the eagle abducting the rabbit's children. This is a variant on the traditional fable of the eagle and the fox (Perry 1); Sir Roger L'Estrange's translation is particularly inspired in describing the demise of the eagle's chicks, alas, at the end.

For an image today, I'll let the Greek Beast of the Week widget supply us a portrait of this week's mythological creature!

(If you are reading this via email, you will need to visit the blog to see the image in action.)